Zone Socials - by Zoom!
Over the summer, our creative Zones team crafted several Zoom events to keep our members connected, brains engaged, and hearts full. We even satisfied our taste buds, with a tasting of bubbly and artisan chocolates (thanks, Delysia Chocolatier!). In late August, they’ve shifted gears for members to provide hands-on community service at the Central Texas Food Bank. For September, they’ve scheduled two gatherings intended for members and guests. Bring a friend to hear more about Impact Austin, including inspiring feedback from a Community Partner. Sharing some details........................
In June, nine members gathered to play Trivia Pursuit.
Categories were Geography, Entertainment, History, Arts & Literature, Science & Nature, Sports & Leisure. The most chosen category? Arts & Literature. Andrea Angelo had a perfect score! The game finished with an unexpected category: IMPACT AUSTIN! Can you answer these questions? (Answers will appear at the bottom of the post.)
1. What is the total dollar amount granted to Community Partners to date?
2. What is the name of the young women’s equivalent (initiative) of Impact Austin?
3. Name the two 2020 g3 grant recipients.
4. Name the four categories of Impact Austin spring grants.
5. What is the name of the grant given to a collaborative of nonprofits working together to achieve a common goal?
6. What is the name of the program that won our 2019 Social Innovation Grant, and what is their main goal?
7. What is the amount of the Social Innovation Grant awarded in 2019?
8. Name the two recipients of the 2020 Catalyst Grant.
9. Name any 3 of the 7 ways to support Impact Austin.
10. In what year was Impact Austin founded?
11. Who is Impact Austin’s founder?
12. Name Impact Austin’s three Signature Events.
On August 4, the Zone Zoom Cocktail Hour focused on travel – someday!
Thirteen members met by Zoom to chat about past and future vacation trips. Members enjoyed refreshing drinks, wore fun attire, and some had themed Zoom backgrounds!
Margaret Ballinger kicked off the event with a poll – Do you prefer going next to the beach, mountains, or big city? This was a fun way to get everyone talking about trips. One of our members has a wonderful tradition of a weekly travel date with her husband!
Future beach destinations ranged from South Padre to Costa Rica. Across the Atlantic, Europe is a popular future destination: Scandinavia, Romania, Scotland, Ireland, Greenland, Iceland, Spain and Croatia. In Asia, members are headed to the Southeast, including Thailand, and also to Japan to visit a grandbaby on the way!
When members shared stories about past trips, the topics ranged fabulously:
Favorite historical and cultural destinations included India and Angkor Wat.
Puglia is a special part of southern Italy to visit.
Isla Mujeres has beautiful beaches and golf carts to rent.
For hiking, there’s the wonder of British Columbia.
September Zone gatherings will be open to non-members.
When you Zone leader reaches out, please register for yourself and a friend or colleague who may wish to learn more about Impact Austin. Gatherings will start with a quick and fun ice breaker and will include a heartwarming report from an Impact Austin Community Partner.
September 21, 7:00-8:00 PM – Hear from Member Melissa Patel and Christina Gorczynski. Laura Wood from Kids in a New Groove will share the Community Partner experience.
September 24, 12:00-1:00 PM – Member Jenny Cotner and Christina Gorczynski will share the Impact Austin story. Veronda Durden from Any Baby Can will speak from the Community Partner point of view.
Finally ..... Impact Austin Trivial Pursuit answers - how many did you know?
1. $7.4 million
2. Girls Giving Grants (g3)
3. Friends of the Children Austin ($7,725)
Mother’s Milk Bank Austin ($2,575)
4. Catalyst, Community, Education, Health & Well-Being
5. Social Innovation Grant
6. The Innocence Initiative – to address the adultification of Black girls
8. Family Eldercare ($25,000)
Austin Child Guidance Center ($75,000)
9. Become a Member – and Renew
Gift of Stock
11. Rebecca Powers
12. Town Hall Meeting, Discovery Day, Annual Meeting