Impact Austin Releases Position Description for New Executive Director
May 29, 2018
Impact Austin is seeking an experienced leader who will work cohesively with the Board of Directors, key stakeholders, and all of our Impact Austin members to realize our new mission. The Executive Director will be Impact Austin’s brand ambassador and will integrate strategic and advancement leadership skills with an innovative, growth mindset.
Reporting to the Board President, the Executive Director will oversee the administration of Impact Austin, managing the volunteer-powered organization, fiscal, and other critical resources. The Executive Director will also lead energetic efforts to secure philanthropic support, in addition to the historical and important membership support, by identifying and cultivating partnerships and creative fundraising opportunities that will support IA’s mission, growth operationally and longer term its endowment.
Essential position functions include:
- Create and execute, collaboratively with IA leadership, action plans to reach the strategic priorities and aggressive milestones set by the board of directors; monitor and report on strategic and growth plan progress
- Direct effective programs supporting membership retention and growth
- Spur innovation, growth, and improvement based on regular assessment of the market to keep IA at the forefront of changing trends
- Design and develop partnerships and programs to make progress on the vision of unlocking the potential of our communities by helping women achieve their full philanthropic capacity
- Engage volunteers and oversee the volunteer matching process, monitoring performance data and identifying staffing issues, including the transition of work, as necessary
- Support each Committee, led by cabinet chairs, in creating, implementing, and modifying annual operating plans and supporting budgets
- Collaborate with the Impact Austin leadership to develop, initiate and maintain a succession plan for key volunteer and staff roles
- Measure progress at all levels of the organization, including confidence and satisfaction of volunteers, and process ease and effectiveness
- Design, execute and manage a consistent communication and marketing strategy for IA
- Assist the Impact Austin leadership in internal communication, including preparing agendas for meetings and messages communicating progress on growth and strategic initiatives
- Develop a strategy for and oversee fundraising efforts to reach a $1M budget by 2021, considering new opportunities for revenue streams
- Build partnerships with philanthropic and nonprofit institutions to drive progress on diversification and program goals
- Supervise day to day business operations of Impact Austin including direct supervision of Operations Coordinator and oversight of the operations team, committee cabinet members, and financial resources
- Direct and be accountable for the organization’s financial management, including the organizational budget and endowment
- Participate in and contribute to organization Board meetings and oversee program meetings
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE OVERVIEW
With a fifteen-year foundation laid, and a new strategic plan in place, the Executive Director role offers an exceptional opportunity for a truly talented individual. The successful candidate will step into an organization that has a well-regarded reputation, broad membership fueling its impact, and serves a highly compelling mission.
Essential experience of candidates:
- Five or more years senior management experience
- Served in a significant role leveraging volunteers/members
- Demonstrated track record of revenue growth
- Communications—internal and external to an organization
- Undergraduate degree required
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following competencies:
- Change management: Leadership skills with demonstrated ability to proactively drive change to deliver enhanced results and execute a long-term strategy.
- Strategic Mindset: Competently creates strategies that lead to sustainable organizational growth, leveraging the unique assets of the organization. Manages multiple short-term and detailed projects, committees, and initiatives seamlessly, while staying focused on the long-term objectives. Can efficiently align resources and make financial and program decisions based on cost-benefit analysis.
- Relationship Building: Consistently demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills. Builds collaborative, trusting relationships with stakeholders including members, volunteers, staff, and external audiences.
- Communications: Possesses an accomplished presence in public settings and a knowledge of ways to utilize communications to promote the vision and programs of the organization. Presents ideas orally and in writing to others in a manner that achieves clarity, buy-in, and commitment, and energizes and inspires.
Successful candidates will also demonstrate the following key personal characteristics:
- Energetically supports the mission of the organization
- Pragmatic visionary with decisive leadership skills
- Achievement orientation; is decisive, takes initiative, makes decisions and implements change through calculated risk
- High integrity and credibility
- Success in, and delight with collaborating
- Attention to detail
- Commitment to diversity and working within diverse communities
- Politically astute and tactful; attentive to the perspectives and competing interests of various stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to assert initiative and manage multiple assignments
- Engaged listener